Andy Perrin's Computer Tips Page
This page contains semi-random information and bits of pseudo-wisdom about computing. Use at your own risk!
- mchp.pl - a hack designed to allow synchronization of passwords among samba, unix, and
other systems. Probably not useful anywhere else in its raw form, but it might give others some ideas.
- DeepCopy.pm - a stab at a universal
deep copier for Perl objects.
- NewOptionmenu.pm - a modification of Nick Ing-Simmons's Perl/Tk Optionmenu widget that adds two features:
- Changes to an underlying (tied) variable using the
-variable option show up in the displayed option in the
- The -limittolist option rejects values that are not in the
-options sent to the widget (assuming there are options).
- DMedian and DMode functions for Microsoft
Access 97 - domain median and mode calculations.
- SeparateString - rudimentary function to return an array of strings from a separated string in Access 97.
- mkntpwd.c - written by Anton Roeckseisen (firstname.lastname@example.org), this quick 'n' dirty
program takes a plain-text password on input and generates LM and NT hashes suitable for use in an smbpasswd file on
- Tips on e-mailing from Microsoft Access
- Using openAFS on the UNC network under Debian 2.2r3 (potato)
- Class roll generator: takes a UNC class roll (from the online class rolls page) and generates a LaTeX file with the class roll, e-mail addresses, and frequency tables broken down by class year and major.
- Class roll generator (new edition): takes a UNC online class roll (from the Faculty/Staff SIS page) and generates a LaTeX file with the class roll, e-mail addresses, and frequency tables broken down by class year and major.
- Notes on using an IDE CD Burner under Debian Linux
- Perl wrapper for scanimage/convert to scan documents into PDF files
- R/S code for calculating the Intraclass Coefficient (see Raudenbush & Bryk 2002, p. 24) for a two-level multilevel model from nlme
- Tips for using a USB Memory Key under Linux
- BibTeX/natbib style file for the American Sociological Association (ASA) Style Guide Note: you must use a bibpunct line in your preamble for this to work right.
- font tcrm1000 not found
- fine_likert.pl, a perl implementation of a slick web form control allowing very fine-grained Likert-type scales. Ported from an idea and code by Kieran Mathieson (email@example.com). You'll probably also need the four small graphical files to make it work:
- Tips on running Linux on the IBM ThinkPad 240
- safeTeX: a very short perl function to make text safe for inclusion in a LaTeX file
- Authorindex package that works right in interaction with natbib (Thanks to Andreas Wettstein)
- Piping output of tar through gzip and getting it onto tape
- Stata code for mapping North Carolina counties to regions (written for the Carolina Poll)
- A Chapel Hill (tarheel blue and white) theme for the Beamer package for making presentation slides with LaTeX. The color scheme file is here.
- My experience syncing my Treo 700p with J-Pilot over Bluetooth
- File listing - check here to see if I've posted anything to the file area and been careless enough
not to link it here.
My home page
E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Jun 18 2003